• Fun On The Spot - Games

    Rob Mathewson is the Big Picture Guy for On The Spot Games. Read his musings on games and the game industry.

    Friday, August 04, 2006

    The Debunking of "The Dog Ate My Homework" Defense

    OK kiddies listen up. When it comes to making excuses, don't look to grownups for a good example. As we've heard this week from Floyd Landis, he has resorted to the pro athlete's version of every students' "Hail Mary" in defending himself from a damning testosterone test by blaming a few drinks with his teammates for spiking his testosterone levels. His lawyer got into the act too with some blathering about dehydration.

    These latest developments certainly are weighing on my as I consider what role sports should play in my boys' lives. In the last year, that have completely immersed themselves in sport, both as players and fans. While I am tickled pink in this development because it gives us something to share as a family, it certainly raises some parenting challenges.

    I had decided a few years ago not to plunge them into organized sports. My thinking at the time was to avoid draining the fun out of the game (whatever game) by subjecting them to the seemingly endless waiting and dead time that I had heard about from other dads. My preference was for them to develop a love for playing first that would then give them the motivation to embrace organized sports on their own. They were only introduced to organized sport last year at age 7, when they played soccer for the first time. At first they were very confused on the field and were more likely to stand next to a teammate and cheer for him than trying to kick the ball.

    Sports love is in full bloom this summer as they are attending YMCA sports camps in rapid (and rabid) succession. A week of tennis was followed by soccer. We are currently at the end of baseball week, which will be followed by flag football. I really like what I am seeing from this experience, which is play for play's sake along with the lessons of winning, losing and sportsmanship. - My son Jason came home from his first day of baseball with a long face after his batting privileges for the day were revoked for poor sportsmanship. He seemed pretty humiliated by the experience, so I assumed he learned his lesson and didn't press him for details. His brother wished I had, of course. - Having learned the lessons presented to them this summer, I think it will be easier to make the choices for future participation in organized sports.

    The role of being a sports fan is becoming a tricky one to teach, though. As the boys learn more about the various games and the rules of play, their questions inevitably turn to some of the more subtle nuances of the games they watch. Like "Dad, why did Ichiro try to make an out on that play?" or "Dad, what does it mean when Floyd's testosterone-epitestosterone ratio is 11 to 1 when its supposed to be 2 to 1?"

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home