• Fun On The Spot - Games

    Rob Mathewson is the Big Picture Guy for On The Spot Games. Read his musings on games and the game industry.

    Saturday, September 02, 2006

    Parents Need a Break to Have Their Own Fun Too
    I have a set of five basic principles that I follow in order to maintain my health and well being;

    1. Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep almost every day
    2. Eat six time each day
    3. Make smart food choices - eat the right portions and the right foods from as local a source as possible
    4. Drink 10 +/- glasses of water per day
    5. Include 30 - 60 minutes of ME time as part of my daily schedule
    Principle number five has huge ramifications for parents, yet it's usually the first one that new parents will eliminate. I guess I should expand on my definition of ME time. Me time is time spent for the benefit of your own mind and body. I usually spend my Me time exercising, but it can also be spent in quiet meditation.

    As parents, there is an impulse for us to focus on "The Kids. The Kids. The Kids." and neglect ourselves in the process. We've all heard it before; "I've got no time to work out. The kids' schedule just keep me running all day." Ironically, this "Kids First" mentality ultimately exhausts a parent, both physically and mentally. Ultimately, leaving him less fit to keep up with the kids and thus starting a downward spiral towards degrading health.

    That's why Me time is so important. By scheduling a 30-60 minutes break every day for yourself, you allow your body and mind an opportunity to recharge. Personally, I find that its the only time of the day when I can truly clear my mind of the many issues that fill my day as a parent and a business owner. And in some instances, my Me time results in an idea or a solution to a nagging problem. I often come back from a long bike ride with a head filled with ideas for new activities with the kids or a new game idea. Even if I don't return home with a brainstorm, I've got a smile on my face and am ready to handle whatever the kids can throw my way.

    Scheduling Me time can be as difficult as the actual exercise for some. My wife and I have worked out a fairly simple schedule. I work out in the morning before work, she works out after work. I get Saturday morning, while she gets Sunday. We both are convinced of the benefits Me time to each of us as individuals, spouses and parents and so will be as flexible as possible to ensure that each of us gets in the necessary time to recharge.


    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home