• Fun On The Spot - Games

    Rob Mathewson is the Big Picture Guy for On The Spot Games. Read his musings on games and the game industry.

    Saturday, October 07, 2006

    Going out With the Family? Then Leave the Screens Behind.

    I love portable electronics. As a sales guy, I shutter to think what my life would be like if I couldn't call a customer from the road to tell him I'm going to be late and then looking up his customer history on my laptop in the parking lot before our meeting. Not to mention, keeping tabs on my email from the airport on my phone, or watching a movie on my laptop during the flight.

    Those same toys can be also become a parents best friend. We bought a portable DVD player back in 2000 when our boys were toddlers and I can safely say that the player was worth every penny of the $400+ we paid for it after our first cross-country plane trip to the East Coast. We've used that player on numerous flights and long distance drives. The kids really enjoyed it and my wife and I did as well. I only wish we had the same option available to us as kids.

    However, I've seen a few too many parents lean heavily on portable screens at the wrong place and the wrong time. Specifically, I'm talking about those who shove a screen in front of their kid's face in social situations when the family should be focused on each other instead of the screen. There's no more shameful site than when I see a family at a restaurant together with the kids' immersed in playing with their Gameboys or even watching a movie with headphones on, while mom and dad do their own thing. Talk about a wasted opportunity for the family.

    Such a scene tells me that either the parents of these families can't be bothered connecting with their kids or opt for the "who's your buddy" school of parenting and relent whenever junior brings along his screen. My goodness, folks. Life is too busy and opportunities to get your kids' attention are too scarce to waste an opportunity to engage the kids in a little conversation. See what's happening in their lives. Or if their not engaging, tell them what's happening in yours.

    Parents sometimes forget how much it means to kids when a grownup is talking TO them and not AT them. I will plead guilty to doing too much of the latter sometimes, especially when I'm caught up in the daily rituals that take place before and after school; "Pack your lunch." "Where's your backpack?" "Did you bring home your folder?" "Where IS your sweat shirt???"

    But when we're sitting at dinner, at home or in a restaurant, I really try to focus on talking "TO" them. If I feel like the kids are relying a little too much on grunts and single syllable answers, I turn into dad the storyteller and share a story about my day or dig into a juicy tale from the past. Why waste a good audience?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home